9th International Workshop on State-of-the-Art in Scientific and Parallel Computing
The PARA 2008 proceedings have suffered many unfortuante delays due to extenuating circumstances, but will finally be published in two volumes, LNCS 6126 and 6127 in 2012
PARA 2012 will be held in Helsinki, Finland June 10-13. See you there!
PARA 2010 was held June 6-9, 2010 in Reykjavik, Iceland!The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) is hosting PARA 2008: State-of-the-Art in Scientific and Parallel Computing, May 13-16, 2008 on the NTNU Campus in Trondheim, Norway .
After the tutorials, the official workshop was started with a concert at the Nidaros Cathedral , the world's Nothernmost Cathrdral, followed by the Reception which was hosted by Trondheim City at the Archbishop's Palace. The Banquet will be held in Palmehaven at Britannia Hotel, Trondheim's most historic hotel.
The main theme of PARA 2008 was State-of-the-Art in Scientific and Parallel Computing. Interesting topics included (but are not restricted to) algorithms, software, tools, environments as well as applications for Scientific Computing, High Performance Computing, Parallel Computing, Grid Computing, and Computer Simulations including Interactive and Scientific Visualization.
Key lectures, topical minisymposia, and a limited number of contributed talks were presented at the workshop.
17th of May - Norway's National
If you have not been to Norway on May 17, staying an extra day in Norway will provide you a very special treat whether you stay in Trondheim to watch our 3 parades or stop over in Oslo and watch the 2+hr children's parade passing the Royal Castle and later in the afternoon "Russetoget". All of Norway will be celebrating waving our Norwegian flags in honor of our Constitution signed on May 17, 1814!
Quick history: Norway became a united country in 872 AD after the Viking battle at Hafrsfjord. The era ended due to the Black Plague hitting in 1349 wiping out about half of Norway's population, hitting the cities especially hard. Around the same time we joined through royal mariages & politics Sweden and Denmark. Sweden broke off in 1523, but Norway was part of Denmark for 400 years, then "given" to Sweden in 1814 after Denmark sided with Napoleon (and lost). Norway became independent from Sweden in 1905 (peacefully!), but managed to get its constitution written in 1814 right before joining Sweden. Our constitution is inspired by the US Consitution as well as the French Revolution.
Important dates   History   Committees   Hotels   Travel Tips
- Rapid, Sustainable Development for Complex HPC Software
- GPU Programming for Scientific Computing
- FPGA Programming for Scientific Computing
- New Data Formats for Dense Linear Algebra (tentive title)
- Benjamin Allan (Sandia,USA)
- Otto Anshus (University of Tromsø, Norway)
- David A. Bader (Georgia Tech, USA)
- Alessandro Bencini (University of Florence, Italy)
- Xing Cai (Simula Research, Norway)
- Raimondas Ciegis (Vilnius Gediminas Techical University, Lithuania)
- José C. Cunha (Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal)
- Jack Dongarra (University of Tennessee/ORNL, USA)
- Tony Drummond (LBNL,USA)
- Anne C. Elster (NTNU, Norway/Austin, Texas, USA)
- Lars Fischer (Nordic Datagrid Facilities, The Nordics)
- Cecilia Gomes (Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal)
- Michael Grønager (Nordic Datagrid Facility, The Nordics)
- Fred Gustavson (IBM Research, USA/Univ. of Umeå, Sweden)
- Grzegorz Kameniarz (A. Mickiewicz University, Poland)
- José R. Herrero (Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Spain)
- Chris R. Johnson (University of Utah, USA) -- keynote
- Jon Kleppe (NTNU, Norway)
- Kimmo Koski (CSC, Finland)
- Jacko Koster (Uninett Sigma, Norway)
- Bartlomiej Jacek Kubica (Warsaw University of Technology, Poland)
- Syvert Nørsett (NTNU, Norway)
- Enrique S. Quintana-Orti (Universitat Jaime I, Spain)
- Padma Raghavan (Penn State University, USA)
- Omer F. Rana (Cardiff University, UK)
- Olaf O. Storaasli (ORNL, USA)
- Egil Tjåland (NTNU, Norway)
- Brian Vinter (Copenhagen University, Denmark)
- Jerzy Wasniewsky (Technical University of Denmark)
- Roman Wyrzykowski (Czestochowa University of Technology, Poland)
- Julius Zilinskas (Institute of Mathematics and Informatics, Vilnius, Lithuania)
Program will also include:
- Contributed Talks (limited): Author Info
- Invited Industrial Presentations (TBA)
- Posters (limited): Author Info
We are very grateful to our sponsor that allows us to host an exciting event with great invited speakers, etc!